In an expression of the principle of impermanence, in 1998 Rev. Enyu Ito began offering an opportunity for students to attend and practice authentic Rinzai Zen under his guidance. Over the years since, many students have experienced a deepening of Zen practice in their daily lives. In 2016 with increasing age, he reduced the frequency of his participation and teaching and passed away 3/4/2020.
We no longer have a teacher however, we continue to offer zazenkai, a place to mediate together by follow traditions which Rev Ito taught us.
All are welcome. It is our hope that the experience of zazen will help a student clarify the Path that must determined as one’s own thus increasing Wisdom and Compassion in the challenges of every day life.
Our zazen class is offered in the Upper House which sits on the slope of the Moon Viewing Hill at Hakone Gardens in Saratoga, CA. The house offers a place of quiet retreat in the garden.
* Zazenkai is not affiliated with Hakone Gardens, Saratoga, CA.
- Founder of Rinzai Hakone Zendo
- Buddhist priesthood received at Honganji Temple, Kyoto Japan
- 1996 Blessed with the master’s license from Honganji
- Teaching Zen at Rinzai Hakone Zen-Do since 1998.
- Link to his Biography
- Assistant to Rev.Enyu Ito
- Soto training 2010 to present at Middle Way Zen and San Francisco Zen Center.
- Ordination as Soto priest June 2016